PurposeThis policy describes the privacy practices of The Vita Companies, as required by the federal Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act (HIPAA) and the California Insurance Information and Privacy Protection Act.
Protecting Your InformationVita recognizes that your personal information is yours, not ours. We are committed to protecting your privacy and our policies and practices are designed to do just that. We never rent or sell your personal information to anyone.
Protected InformationThe HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules govern Protected Health Information (PHI) which is generally health and personal information from a health provider or related to your health plan. The California Insurance Information and Privacy Protection Act protects Nonpublic Personal Information (NPI) which generally means personal demographic information.
Technology and InformationThe insurance and financial services industries are rapidly being shaped by technology that is changing the way we do business. To be successful we must continue to ensure that our customers are confident in our ability to manage their affairs in a manner that protects each individual’s right to privacy.
Vita clients have access to a broad range of products and services, from basic investments and insurance to Section 125 and COBRA administration. To deliver these products and services as effectively and conveniently as possible, it is essential that we use technology to manage and maintain certain information.
Vita engages sophisticated technology platforms and maintains clear business protocols to assure the security of the data we maintain and transmit.
Information We Collect or Retain About YouWe collect personal, financial and health related information that is necessary for the processing of claims, for underwriting or applying for insurance, for securing investments, fulfilling legal and regulatory requirements, and for assisting clients with policy or administration questions. The type of information we collect and maintain varies according to the products or services we provide for you or your employer.
We maintain pertinent personal identifying data (such as name, birth date, Social Security Number, and marital status) as well as financial information and historical information on policies, plans or investments. We also maintain records on any health conditions disclosed or provided to us in other forms in the process of securing group or individual insurance, while assisting on an insurance policy question, or by an insurance company or health provider’s office.
We may collect non-public personal information as well as Protected Health Information about you from many sources, including information we receive about you on applications or other forms, information about your transactions with us, our affiliates or others, and information we receive from non-affiliated third parties, including consumer reporting agencies.
Information about your computer hardware and software may be automatically collected by Vita via the website. This information can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. This information is used for the operation of the service, to maintain quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Vita website.
Information About You That We May DiscloseWhen it comes to sharing customer information with unaffiliated companies, Vita places strict limits on who receives specific information about client accounts and other personally identifiable financial data and Protected Health Information. Vita may share information with such companies in the process of securing proposals for products, implementing products or services, providing customer service to participants, or to the extent that it may benefit a client or that a client has requested the product, information, or service. We will only share such information in the course of fulfilling a business obligation. Whenever we do this we carefully review the company and the product or service to make sure that it provides value to our customers.
Vita may share data with trusted partners to help perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to Vita, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
Vita may disclose your personal information, without notice, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Vita or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Vita; and/or (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Vita, or the public.
Protection of Shared InformationVita recognizes that a fundamental element of maintaining effective customer privacy procedures is providing reasonable protection against unauthorized access to client information and protected health information. Therefore, we have established appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural security safeguards, and standards to guard against any unauthorized access to customer information. In addition, Vita recognizes the responsibility of protecting data that is shared with other entities or business partners.
If we provide NPI or PHI to a third party with which we have a business relationship, we require that the third party a Business Associate Agreement confirming they keep all such information confidential, consistent with the conduct of our business relationship.
When we make information available to you over the internet, we use technology such as internet data encryption technology, personalized passwords, and other precautions. We use electronic technology extensively and for a variety of purposes in the course of meeting the business responsibilities that we have been retained to provide. We never use e-mail for solicitation or advertising, and we never sell or otherwise make available your e-mail address to anyone except as may be necessary to provide our products and services to our customers.
MarketingVita does not share your personally identifiable data for marketing purposes. Vita does not rent or sell your personally identifiable data or client lists to other companies or third parties.
Electronic MailVita uses electronic mail extensively to:
- Correspond with clients on employee benefit strategy, administration, and service issues
- Transmit flexible spending arrangement Explanations of Benefits and account statements and resolve claim issues.
- Conduct COBRA eligibility, enrollment, and payment correspondence with carriers.
- Resolve employee benefits claim issues and correspond about eligibility, enrollment, and payment with carriers and employer clients.
- Transmit data required for proposals, policy implementation, compliance, and the provision of service to clients.
- We do not use e-mail for solicitation or advertising. Vita never sells or otherwise makes available your e-mail address to anyone except as may be necessary to provide our products and services to our customers.
Protecting Your Personal InformationWe want to assure all of our clients that whenever personal information is used, it is done with discretion. Safeguarding our clients’ personal information is a very high priority. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that protect your information. The following policies guide us in protecting our customers’ privacy:
- At Vita, we believe the confidentiality and protection of customer information is one of our fundamental responsibilities. While information is critical to providing quality service, we recognize that one of our most important assets is our customers’ trust.
- Vita limits the use, collection and retention of customer information to what we believe is necessary or useful to conduct our business, provide high-quality service, and offer products and services.
- At Vita, employee access to personally identifiable information and Protected Health Information is limited to those with a business reason to know such information.
- Employees and contractors are educated and trained on the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of customer information. Because of the importance of these issues, all Vita employees are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of customer information. Employees who violate these policies are subject to disciplinary action.
Security BreachIn the event of a security breach, we will follow the specific procedures outlined in the HIPAA Security Rule. You will be notified to the extent that it is determined that there has been a breach of your PHI. If you have questions, you may contact our Privacy Officer at the address provided at the bottom of this policy document.
CookiesThe Vita website may use "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server for recordkeeping purposes. For example, a cookie could allow the websites to recognize your browser, while another could store your preferences and other information. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize Vita pages, or register with Vita site or services, a cookie helps Vita to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, mailing addresses, and so on. When you return to the same Vita website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Vita features that you customized.
Your browser may allow you to set how it handles cookies, such as declining all cookies or prompting you to decide whether to accept each cookie. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Vita services or websites you visit.
- To enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of our sites across different webpages and browser sessions
- To simplify your access to and use of our sites and make it more seamless
- To monitor and analyze the performance, operation and effectiveness of our sites, so that we can improve and optimize it
- To show you content that is more relevant to you
3. Other TechnologiesOur sites may also use other technologies with similar functionality to cookies, such as web beacons and tracking URLs to obtain anonymous data about users. We may also use web beacons and tracking URLs in our messages to you to determine whether you have opened a certain message or accessed a certain link.
4. Disabling CookiesMost browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to turn off cookies. If you choose to decline turn off, please note that some interactive features of our sites may not function properly.
GDPR Compliance StatementVita is committed to our users’ rights to privacy. The following is a collection of resources regarding your use of our sites and services as well as information about how we may use data.
1. GDPR ComplianceThe EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) went into effect May 25, 2018 and we support these regulations for a safe and secure browsing experience across the Internet. The details below outline what we are doing to comply with the new regulations.
2. Personally Identifiable InformationOur website typically collects two kinds of information about you: (i) information that you provide that personally identifies you; and (ii) information that does not personally identify you that we automatically collect when you visit our website or that you provide to us.
In a few instances, we may require personally-identifiable information in order to use certain features of our services. For example, we may ask for an email address to subscribe to one of our newsletters or to download a selected piece of collateral.
3. Non-Personal InformationIn addition to any personally identifiable information or other information that you choose to provide to us on our website, we may use a variety of technologies, now and hereafter devised, that automatically collect certain non-personal information whenever you visit or interact with our website.
We use non-personal information in a variety of ways, including to help analyze site traffic, understand user needs and trends, carry out targeted promotional activities and to improve our products and services. We may use your non-personal information by itself or aggregate it with information we have obtained from others.
If data collection is not required for the functionality of our site, we do not collect it. At any time, you may request your information to be exported and sent to you for review, and we promptly honor any requests by you to have your information deleted and forgotten.
Right to DeletionSubject to certain exceptions set out below, on receipt of a verifiable request from you, we will:
- Delete your personal information from our records; and
- Direct any service providers to delete your personal information from their records.
- Complete the transaction for which the personal information was collected, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between you and us;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when our deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, provided we have obtained your informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with an existing legal obligation; or
- Otherwise use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
Children Under ThirteenVita does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use this website.
Opt-Out InformationIf you wish to make corrections to any personally identifiable information you have provided or want to opt-out from receiving future commercial correspondence, including emails, please contact us through one of the inquiry methods provided below. We will respond to your request and, if applicable and appropriate, make the requested change in our active databases as soon as reasonably practicable.
The Vita Companies1451 Grant Road, Suite 200
Mountain View, CA 94040
Vita Benefits Group
Vita Administration Company
Vita Planning Group
Securities offered by Vita Planning Group, LLC, Member NASD, SIPC, MSRB
Revision Date: February 2022